ACI's 4th Advanced Forum on Defending & Managing Automotive Product Liability
E. Paul Cauley
Partner Paul Cauley was a panelist at ACI's 4th Annual Advanced Forum on Defending & Managing Automotive Product Liability.
The panel discussed The Supreme Court’s newest decisions and the re-shaped landscape on the preemption Defense and international personal jurisdiction. In addition the panel covered:
- Update on the Williamson v. Mazda case and effects it will have on the industry: Is this going to override Geier precedent?
- How to assess whether a plaintiff ’s auto product liability case is preempted by the FMVSS
- The preemption issues that are currently looming when the alleged defect is that a company failed to equip a vehicle with a certain safety measure or elected a certain version of a safety measure
- How to look to the relevant NTMVSA and FMVSS language in determining whether there is a strong argument that plaintiff ’s common law claims are preempted
- How two product liability international personal jurisdiction cases before the United States Supreme Court may change the face of International Personal jurisdiction
- Today’s significant liability, evidentiary, and damages issues when U.S. automobiles crash on foreign soil, involve foreign citizens, and then get litigated in the U.S. courts
- The impact of cross-border sales of vehicles